Mystery Location Calls - We Can't Get Enough!!!

Friday, May 20, 2016
Engage your students and enforce geography skills with Mystery Skype Calls. #geography #middleschool #mysteryskype #geographylessons

This year I have absolutely fallen in love with Mystery Location Calls.  If you don't know anything about them, stop right now, head on over to Paul Solarz's blog and read up on how to challenge your students and increase their geographic awareness.

Are you back?  Great!  So I started doing Mystery Location Calls after I had my 8th-grade students memorize their 50 states and I have never seen kids really internalize their states like they did after we did just a couple of practice calls.  They have such a spatial understanding of the country, have increased their independent internet researching skills, and have done a nice job at really learning to work together.





My students are obsessed with them now and want to do them all the time!  The only thing I am struggling with is how to incorporate everyone.  I have 27 kids in each class and even though they each have a job, a good ten kids just sit in the back of the class and fool around.  I was thinking about having a Team A and Team B and teams take turns being the primary jobs for each Location Call.

Do you have any suggestions?  Also, if you would like to connect our classes, hit me up in the comments!!!!

1 comment

  1. Hello! I am just finishing our Geography unit. We are 4th graders from Honduras and I would love to have a mystery call with your class.

    ReplyDelete